[FIX] FTPBinaryModeFix-nk

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 25 19:27:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 1:58 pm, Michael Rueger wrote:
> But what if you want ascii transfer? This change set forces binary mode
> in all kinds of places (e.g. getFileNamed:) that are not necessarily
> meant to be binary IMO.

Is character translation properly the job of a file transfer protocol?

My feeling is that it isn't; that it is a service that should be provided by a
higher layer. If a particular *use* of a transferred file requires
translating line endings, then that use is welcome to provide that service.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/