Reasons for Lint rules

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 25 20:11:46 UTC 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 8:48 am, Frank Shearar wrote:
> It occurs to me that it'd be nice to see a rationale for the Lint rules.
> Like, say, in a balloon text when you hovered over the title of the rule in
> the SmallLint Results window.
>
> For instance, "Uses the result of an add: message" - why is it bad form to
> do so? I mean, OrderedCollection>>add: does in fact return the object you
> added.
>
> Some of the rules are obvious like the 'Uses "size = 0" etc etc' rule, but
> some really aren't. At least, not to me. (And of course what's obvious to
> me isn't obvious to J. Random Squeaker).

Good idea. I've added this to my version of Refactory (to be published later
today). (I haven't actually added the rationale strings themselves, but
someone can add them where the individual rules are defined). The menu that
pops up over the rule list now lets you display the rationale for all the
selected rules.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/