Squeak on Handhelds, Status?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 25 20:28:55 UTC 2005

  Stefan,

> For the first tests I used the SqueakVM 3.0 compiled for ARM
> (http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/) and a default
> 3.2-image. Everything seems to work fine, i built funny buttons, lists
> and so on. Networking works fine too (WLAN).

  The VM was from 3.1alpha.  It doesn't have some newer features, but
for 3.2 image it should be fine.

> I'd like to know if there are any pitfalls - for now everything seems
> to be a bit too easy.

  Yes, if you're willing to write your own buttons, etc. Squeak is
perfect.

> Do you have any hints/ tips for stripping down the image?

  It is a try and error process, but you wouldn't have to strip it
down too aggressively in this setting?

> Any ideas on how to implement an automatic installer (an executable
> that installs the sw on the iPaq)?

  I'd like to know the answer for this, too^^;  There must be some.

> I heard of the possibility to "close" the image (prevent the user
> from opening a world-menu etc.).

  Ned Konz has a package called Lockdown.

http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/0c6d3bda-adbb-496a-ae84-8d4c145d14b5

I don't know how applicable it is to the 3.2, but should help.

Of course, if you go to the full-screen mode, and ah... if you
re-compile the VM with different #define macros so that keyevents get
reported to Squeak, you can make it really "closed".

-- Yoshiki