Improving Squeak's Multimedia - additional opinion

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Feb 25 22:29:42 UTC 2005

Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com wrote:

> I would love to see some real audio streaming and DSP capability in
> Squeak. My interest is Software Radio which requires full duplex audio
> streamed through DSP routines. I have written such code in 'C', 'C#'
> and Python using PortAudio and a mixture of libraries and home grown
> code. The reference to overlap-add FFT framework is something that
> figures in most radios as well as frequency domain filtering. I don't
> really know where to start with Squeak however as I have only played
> with Smalltalk. Would it be easy to do a PortAudio binding or is that
> the wrong place to start. Would DSP be too slow in ST? A software
> radio framework in Squeak would be really neat. Anyone willing to give
> me a starter for 10?
>

> Bob

I suggested PortAudio before, and others have too. When/If v19 is
completed, it promises to offer some good cross-platform (most of them
anyway) fundamental libraries. We could start looking at v18. Which
version did you use and what functions did you use for your use? Maybe
you already have a beginning!  ;-)

DSP, in general, would be slow in Squeak -- depending of course what you
are doing.

Don't know if you know, but Kyma is based on ST
http://www.symbolicsound.com/
which utilizes this hardware:
http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Products/Capybara