Improving Squeak's Multimedia - additional opinion

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Fri Feb 25 23:11:22 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>> The csound developers are busy working on csound5 (GPL) which provides
>> an API making it easy (well, not for me... :) to actually embed csound
>> within a scripting language. It has already be done for Python. What
>> about having a csound interface for DSP ?
>

> I don't quite follow you, Stef. Do you mean to have csound within Squeak
> to process csound?
> Why not just use csound?

well I mean having the DSP power of csound nicely mapped within
Smalltalk; that is, not only driving csound but somehow bypassing or
extending the orc/sco syntax so that we can play with the opcodes
themselves. lots of possibility there... unfortunately I'm not familiar
enough with the csound5 C API to tell you if this is realistic or not. I
was just pointing to csound because it seems that a very interesting
effort is happening there; someone more qualified than me might want to
have a closer look at this.

regards,

Stef