Modules

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Sat Feb 26 00:40:50 UTC 2005

Wolfgang Eder <edw at generalmagic.at> wrote...

>one thing that I find missing in this list is
>configuration management:
>code gets changed.
>So there is the issue of how to coordinate changes
>that different people make.
>One way to handle that is to partition the system,
>in order to distribute "ownership" and reduce conflicts.
>Also, I want to be sure that when I load a module,
>I get the same thing I got last time, independent of
>what is in the image before loading.
>And I want to be able to keep the instances while loading
>a different version of a module, so loading a new
>version is different than uninstall old, install new.

OK.  Keep that thought, and we'll discuss it down the road a piece.

>And one thought about the complexity/filtering issue:
>Even though the tools may be able to filter the
>view of the system, the code is nonetheless there
>and may affect the behavior of the system.
>So filtering may lead to "what you see is not what you get",
>so to say.

This is *exactly* the thought I was trying to inspire by comparing all the packages out on SqueakMap with all of them in memory with filters in the browser.  Why do we not have a problem when they are not resident?  Why do we have a problem when they are resident?  At exactly what point does the problem occur?  Heh, heh.  Is it possible to work the architecture a bit better so that the problem never occurs?  I hope so.

	- Dan