Modules

Richard Staehli rastaehli at mac.com
Fri Feb 25 23:08:04 UTC 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Meanwhile, I'd like to proceed simply to ask for people interested in
> putting modules into Squeak.

If it's not too late, I'm interested as well.

#1: Ability to efficiently build minimal and consistent images for
arbitrary applications by automated module load scripts, beginning from
a very tiny core (like spoon).  Module dependencies are managed
automatically.

#2: The ability to package arbitrary changes to an image as a module
for sharing with others.

#3: Any two modules may be loaded in a single image without conflict,
since implementations are encapsulated.

> Are you mainly interested as a designer, implementor, or user?

Mostly as designer, tester and user.  I hesitate to promise that I can
contribute much to implementation, but I'd like to.

> Anything else you'd like to say.

I've been working on component architecture research the last three
years and am eager to test better module schemes in this context.  That
and I'm currently unemployed and have time to invest.

Richard Staehli