Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Feb 26 09:01:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:09:43 +0100, Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de>
wrote:
> that what the perfect rip out of context.

If it was that way, my apologies. I didn't understand it that way.

> If Collections can be refactored so that the code is better
> understandable it is a plus for Traits (the minus would be the speed
> loss).

It's not an 'if'. It's a fact. I haven't read the original Traits paper
for years, but I still remember my excitement about refactoring that
beast. Not only will a huge hierarchy be refactored - you'll end up with
gobs of reusable code. So, if you want to build a class that has
'Set-ness', you can simply grab the corresponding Trait instead of having
to create a Set ivar and delegate all over the place. Set will be reduced
of just a sample class that has 'Set-ness'.

Anyway, let's stop flogging this horse, I think we've done an adequate job
of killing it. Let's declare concensus on the fact that yes, it looks
promising (for some value of 'promising' that differs from skeptical
interest to outright enthousiasm), but yes, we need to hold back our final
judgement and decision until a new version descents from the Swiss Alps.
And personally, I'm eagerly awaiting that version...