a doubt on squeak license

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Feb 26 15:43:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:39:28 -0500, Frank Caggiano
<frankcag at crystal-objects.com> wrote:

> Perhaps Stallman and the Open Software Foundation and the others didn't
> get it exactly right but I really believe had they not reshaped the
> whole model of software development and distribution we would still be
> doing business the old fashion way.

Err... I don't think that Stallman and the Free Software Foundation (OSF
is an entirely different beast) can get the credits for that.

Check the copyright dates on the open source SunRPC library, for starters.
Or the timestamps on the first MIT/BSD style licenses. Remember all the
'public domain' software in the early '80s for the IBM PC, much of which
had source code available. Or, if you want to go really really back, go
hunt for the copyright dates on the OS/360 source code you can just
download from the net (errr... I don't even think there aren't any. Yes,
old IBM mainframe system software was largely open source and some even
public domain, that was when Stallman was still crawling around in
diapers, I guess ;)).

All that the 'Open Source' movement did, was reinstate an old and good
habit. What the FSF did, was and still is a very interesting way to bend
copyright and licensing laws to counteract their own operation, sort of.
Interesting, important, but the 'old fashioned' way was just something
newfashioned from the late '80s...