Help with multiByteFileStream

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 26 20:43:50 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm porting my env to 3.8 and I have the following problem (which
worked like a charm in 3.7).
The loadImage: method normally load a form store in a file.

loadImage: aString
	"Load an image from a file and install it as new graphics"

	| stream res |
	stream := FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: aString, '.frm'.
	res := Compiler new evaluate: stream in: nil to: nil notifying: nil
ifFail: [nil].
	res isNil
		ifTrue: [PopUpMenu inform: 'Problem with the file ', aString, '.frm']
		ifFalse: [(res isKindOf: Form)
					ifTrue: [self image: res]]

the file is of this form:

(Form
	extent: 70 at 78
	depth: 16
	fromArray: #( 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0....... 0 0)
	offset: 0 at 0)

Apparently now the res := Compiler new evaluate: stream in: nil to: nil
notifying: nil ifFail: [nil].
returns nil when the stream is a MultiByteFileStream

So what is the best way to obtain an stream working the old way?

Stef