Retiring BFAV

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 03:04:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:17:52 -0500, Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to publicly chime in that I support the move to Mantis.
>
> As some food for thought, here's what I would list as the main
> advantages of Mantis vs BFAV, roughly in order of importance:
>
> Advantages of Mantis:
> - Accessibility
> - Stability
> - Based on a database, not an email-list as a backend
> - More powerful categorization features
> - No mixing of often off-topic discussion
>
> Advantages of BFAV:
> - UI in Squeak
> - Supports offline evaluation of fixes/enhs

<snip />

> But anyway, I think Mantis is a lot closer to where we want to be, so
> let's go for it & switch over.

I wonder what would happen if we had a rock solid native web browser
built in Squeak.  Maybe some of anxieties about having to have the
system built and accessible right in Morphic would go away because
Mantis would be directly accessible in Squeak.

:-(  Unfortunately I don't have any exciting news to announce isn this
area, but I agree about the accessibility in Squeak is super high on
my list of importance (and I really wish we had the best web browser
you could find on the planet).

Cheers,

John
--
Only the mediocre are always at their best. -- Jean Giraudoux