Multimeda

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Sun Feb 27 14:42:14 UTC 2005

Hi!

Sorry for being so silent the last week. Here are some more
informations about my current interests and some ideas.

My comitment is to work on a general concept and on the AV-Library
project I started. As regards the general concept I would like to
discuss the following:

* everything (including the existing classes) should be packaged,
right?

* what packages do we want? Few big ones or many smaller ones?

* what categories do we want

* set up a wiki to organize our ideas, resources (links, docs) and
examples

* there are a lot of interesting open source multimedia projects that
could serve as examples on how to do it right or not. Examples that
come to my mind are sndkit and musickit, two objective-c frameworks
that seem to be quite mature.

* I would like to compile a list of existing classes and projects
which could reuse and what is good and bad and needs to be changed.
E.g.
 Graphics-Files category
 AbstractSound class
 SoundRecorder class
 AIFFFileReader class (should be moved into different category)
 AudioVideoLibrary packages
 OGG  package
 etc...

As regards my AV Library I'm about to release a new version. In the
next days I will do some profiling and write code to manipulate
audio/video sync in an AVI container. And if time permits I want to
start work on reading and writing ID3 tags.

In the long term I would like to add mpeg4 playback and mpeg2 handling
(a dvd publishing app would be nice to have in squeak).

While working on the AV lib I stumbled across the following two issues
that are not strictly multimeda related but my cause us some trouble.

1. There is no buffered filestream in squeak. When reading multimedia
stuff you often have to examine each byte. So you do a lot of method
calls to get the next byte. That implies a primitive call each time.
Not very fast.

2. I think there is a need for OS-Thread support if only to avoid
dealing with it in plugins we may want to write. The topic pops up
from time to time here but nothing has been done so far, right?

While the first point is easy to solve, the second is definitely not.

Oncy we have concluded on an overall structure there should be no
restrictions on what people want to contribute.

And finally to answer one of Brads questions: I don't think we are a
team, yet. But we should strive to be one.

Martin