p2p monticello - any takers?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 28 09:58:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:44:26 +0000, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at lshift.net>
wrote:
  Clicking on the latest Tric-P2P package (Tric-P2P-CdG.12.mcz)
> paused the whole image for about a minute before resulting in an error,
> "sorry, couldn't find anything on the p2p net" (walkback pasted below).

Don't past walkbacks, fix them ;). Actually, I'm just mimicking MC's
regular behavior here by throwing walkbacks instead of nice error dialogs.
Bugger Avi about this, please ;) (or not, it's a developer tool, after all)

> Perhaps the timeout is too short? (Alternatively, from a user-feedback
> POV, it's already too long :-) ) Looking at the value of "hits" in
> "readStreamForFileNamed:do:", there are two separate entries.

A problem right now is that the network is too unreliable because of its
size. That makes me a bit wary of suggesting alternative ways to tackle
this at this point in time.

Ramble:
- For the user it would be better to send the retrieval request to all
hits in parallel; for the network that wouldn't be as nice of course;
- So maybe a two-stage protocol? Ask for a file handle, retrieve from the
first host that responds?

Of course, the reason that I'm putting out this stuff is that I'd like to
have some input on options like these - there are a lot of
time/space/bandwidth tradeoffs to be made in p2p land...