Newbie point of view regarding Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Mon Jan 3 20:51:58 UTC 2005

Hello,

Regarding the recent loong thread related to the future of Squeak and
suggested road map, I would like to give some points of view as a newbie
to Squeak and Smallktalk in general.
An outsider may have complete different point of view worth reading.

Mark Guzdial was wondering what may be the expectation of newcomers to
Squeak. As a new comer, I can jump there.

Probably the expectation of new comers just depends on how is presented
Squeak to them. To me it has alway been presented as a multimédia tools
with advanced programming concepts. So I just expect that Squeak has
good and stable features in that field. If I discover that such features
just disapear or too easily become obselete I will quit and spend my
time to learn some  other environment. I have to admit, that I was
really worried when I read that a super-mega-inovative stuff named T**k
will soon replace Morph. I was just spending time learning it...

As a newbie appearing to be a math teacher, I was interested by the
quote of the www.squeak.org: 'If you are a student, parent, or teacher,
please jump over to our newly redesigned SqueakLand.org website, and
download some great educational projects.' However as a French speaking
  person I was surprise to see that I18n was poorly or/and not clearly
in place in Squeak. I later discovered that people were working on that,
but not on maintstream, but aside and in an isolated way. Eventually
with the help of others I volunteer to help in localisation in French
but with the strange feeling that it was just hugly hacks (comparing to
the way i18n and l10n is professionnaly conducted in other project of
the free software community). So to sum up, as a newbie I fell that
'Squeak in education'  does not make big-enought sense as long as I18n
is not a top concern in Squeak, at least in non-english speaking countries.

As a newbie appearing to programming, I am very interested and excited
by the programming capabilities of Squeak. When I start with a fresh
image, I always install Shout or Montecillo alike tools because it gaves
me more interesting functionnalities in programming. Also as a newbie I
will explore the tools as the Refactoring Browser and Sunit test as
these tools open interesting programming concept. (ie after all one of
the reason I did want to look closer in Squeak).

Mark Guzdial made some other interesting remarks regarding the
complexity in Squeak and his difficulty to understand new
stuff/development-tools going into Squeak. I agree with him, that as a
newbie when I look at the categories class, it looks very impressive.
However I do not agree about hit engeneer-position. I fell that only the
engeneers can help Squeak to evolve and to bring us new development
functionnalities, which in turn will help producing more interesting
user application in Squeak. I don't think that the multimedia developers
- which I am - can do that.

There are some other point of vew or feedback I would like to share, but
at a meta-development level or the organisational level of the Squeak
development.

- When a new comer hit the Squeak reference page of Squeak it gets to
http://www.squeak.org. Do we need to comment about its quality?
After a few click it will get to http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak it
looks a bit better, much better, not because the information is well
organised (it is a nightmare) but only because there is a lot of
valuable information to find.

So to say the true, the first contact with Squeak through the web is not
very good. Until now, the only professional looking web site I found was
in German http://www.squeak.de, the one from Small-land is also quite
nice, but the German one is much better structured. (hints: 'Provide
guidance in the User Interface, in particular newbie need that')

- It looks like Squeak is an orphaned project. Where are the leaders?
Where are the founding fathers? Beside demonstrating how the UI was
invented by themseleves can they help the Squeak community to be organised?

- Only one devel. list covers the different *core* aspect of Squeak.
Squeak is like a whole system to itself covering VM, compiler, library,
UI, multimedia. I cannot image that the
linux-kernel+GCC+libc+Xwindow+Gnome could have been developped with only
one developper mailing list.
At some point it really shows that Squeak developpement is poorly
organised in the community.

- why there isn't sub development groups (with clearly identified
leaders) covering some of the core points of Squeak:  VM, class-core,
i18n, GUI, multimedia, E-Toy, code cleaning, documentation, etc.
Each sub-groups will work on its own space area (mailing list, etc)
following a roadmap defined in common, throught a Squeak foundation. An
  additional group, the "release team", would help in coordinating
transveral communication and in sighting the development group to follow
the release schedule.
All these points are not new and not from me. For example the Gnome
community is following something like that. Look at
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/ and the link at the right

Oh, a few last words, again related to technical aspect of Squeak and
newbie.
A simple mandatory rule to follow when adding new classes to the core of
Squeak will be that only well documented class can get in. I can assure
you that newbie will thanks you.

Hilaire