Newbie point of view regarding Squeak

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Mon Jan 3 22:39:46 UTC 2005

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> As a newbie appearing to be a math teacher, I was interested by the
> quote of the www.squeak.org: 'If you are a student, parent, or
> teacher, please jump over to our newly redesigned SqueakLand.org
> website, and download some great educational projects.' However as a
> French speaking  person I was surprise to see that I18n was poorly
> or/and not clearly in place in Squeak. I later discovered that people
> were working on that, but not on maintstream, but aside and in an
> isolated way.

I don't understand why you say this.  I18n is included in 3.8, which is
mainstream.

> Eventually with the help of others I volunteer to help in localisation
> in French but with the strange feeling that it was just hugly hacks
> (comparing to the way i18n and l10n is professionnaly conducted in
> other project of the free software community). So to sum up, as a
> newbie I fell that 'Squeak in education'  does not make big-enought
> sense as long as I18n is not a top concern in Squeak, at least in
> non-english speaking countries.

> - Only one devel. list covers the different *core* aspect of Squeak.
> Squeak is like a whole system to itself covering VM, compiler,
> library, UI, multimedia. I cannot image that the
> linux-kernel+GCC+libc+Xwindow+Gnome could have been developped with
> only one developper mailing list.
> At some point it really shows that Squeak developpement is poorly
> organised in the community.

I don't know about that.  When you open up a Squeak browser you can
browse to the code for the compiler, UI framework, networking framework,
etc.  There are no arbitrary divisions between the various parts of the
system, not like making sure that your build environment works for the
latest kernel, Xwindow release, etc.  Also, the whole Squeak list (as
hectic as it can sometimes be) gets less traffic than kernel-dev; why
split this further into a bunch of relatively lonely lists?

Josh