Cuteness

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 20:41:18 UTC 2005

Michael Latta writes:
 > There is one project in the works that currently only supports x86
 > linux.  There have been postings on this, and there is a project on
 > SqueakMap.  The name is Exupery.  The source is available, but has no
 > comments, which makes it hard to use as a base for others to do a port.
 >   I hope someone takes on the PPC for Mac.

Hans-Martin Mosner has expressed interest in porting it to PPC. But
that'll wait until the x86 version becomes useful. It would waste too
much time porting before it's really useful. Make it work well
somewhere before porting it. I plan to port to the ARM because they
are cool.

There are very few comments, that's because I don't find comments
useful. They are the wrong place to put documentation. They are not
good for people who don't know the code because they wouldn't know
where to look and they are also not good for those who did but forgot.

Exupery is however heavily tested. Tests are nice if you were familiar
with the code and have forgotten. Failing tests remind you when you
need it.

Honestly, a porting guide might be helpful, but there is no experience
to write from. No-one has ported Exupery yet. If you want to try talk
to me.

A high level design doc could also be useful but who would it help?
Except idle curiosity. If you know the domain then names should be
enough. If you don't there are plenty of books. If you seriously want
to do something with Exupery talk to me. Until there has been some
real discussion with people, it's too early to write useful documents.

Bryce