Newbie point of view regarding Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Wed Jan 5 19:59:23 UTC 2005

Bernard Notarianni a écrit :

> Yes. If you can do better, propose it.

[..]

> Thank you very much to everybody to have taken some of their time to write those
> pages. Hillaire, do not hesitate to propose better organisation.

[..]

> Not much professional looking web sites, maybe because there is not many people
> paid to do open-source squeak web sites. But do not hesitate to sponsor some of
> them!

Please do not mix identifing a problem and fixing a problem.

In application development, during the evaluation process of the user
interface, users help the developpers to identify problems they did not
see. However at no time the developpers can reply to the users "fix it
yourself".

In other word, being able to identify a problem does not mean your are
able to fix it, even if you want to.

Personnaly I don't see how I can help improving the Squeak reference web
site nor proposing a better organisation of the Swiki documentation web
site. However if a better way of organizing the documentation space is
proposed, I can be an eager helper.

>>- Only one devel. list covers the different *core* aspect of Squeak.
>>Squeak is like a whole system to itself covering VM, compiler, library,
>>UI, multimedia. I cannot image that the
>>linux-kernel+GCC+libc+Xwindow+Gnome could have been developped with only
>>one developper mailing list.
>

> LOL! Dont try to expect Squeak to be has complex as other platform. Actually, it
> is simpler and more efficient. That does it mean is is simple...it is just
> simpler as a whole.

Of course I was talking of the functionnality level. It seems to me
that, while VM and UI development can be related, there are quite
different in nature, and therefore can be conducted in different
places/teams, smoothing the developement effort.

>>At some point it really shows that Squeak developpement is poorly
>>organised in the community.
>
> It show Squeak is coherent and understandable, (and then that even you could
> contribute!) Again, have a look here: http://people.squeakfoundation.org/

Hum, the long thread I mentionned previously showed a lot of
frustrations from top developpers and contributors of the Squeak
community (and this is the reason I wanted to give my point of view).

Stephane said he wanted to quit (then hopefully he came back), Andreas
openly express his frustration, Mark confessed he is worryed about
Multimedia stuff becoming broken.

It sounds to me like there are some need of a better meta-development
model to avoid such problems.
But well, I may be pretty 100% wrong as I am a newbie to Squeak and I am
not used to its way of development.

Hilaire