Newbie point of view regarding Squeak

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 5 22:23:45 UTC 2005

Hi Hilaire!

Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
> Bernard Notarianni a écrit :
>
> > Yes. If you can do better, propose it.
>
> [..]
>
> > Thank you very much to everybody to have taken some of their time to write those
> > pages. Hillaire, do not hesitate to propose better organisation.
>
> [..]
>
> > Not much professional looking web sites, maybe because there is not many people
> > paid to do open-source squeak web sites. But do not hesitate to sponsor some of
> > them!
>
> Please do not mix identifing a problem and fixing a problem.

True, as a volunteer open source project we may accidentally do that
from time to time.
So, forgive us "oldtimers" for that.

The reason is probably also because many of these issues are well known
to us and we just feel frustrated getting them pointed out over and
over. :) That is not your fault of course. What I mean is that the
problem is not *knowing* about these issues (we do) but to *fix them*
(we try, but have so little time).

[SNIP]
> However if a better way of organizing the documentation space is
> proposed, I can be an eager helper.

Good!

[SNIP]
> Of course I was talking of the functionnality level. It seems to me
> that, while VM and UI development can be related, there are quite
> different in nature, and therefore can be conducted in different
> places/teams, smoothing the developement effort.

Well, but these things also do tend to affect each other. And perhaps
even more importantly - the developers involved in the VMs are also
involved in other parts of Squeak, and even heavily so. So... splitting
people up in highyl overlapping groups aren't that useful.

Also - one of the charms of squeak-dev is that you learn a lot of stuff
that you may not learn otherwise. But as I also wrote - there actually
are other mailinglists.

[SNIP]
> It sounds to me like there are some need of a better meta-development
> model to avoid such problems.

Yes, and quite frankly IMHO what we might simply need is a different
kind of leadership. We have tried the guides approach for a while - and
I am thinking it might be time for a different approach. But more on
that later. :)

> But well, I may be pretty 100% wrong as I am a newbie to Squeak and I am
> not used to its way of development.

No, you are not 100% wrong. :) And please don't feel offended. Newbie
views are always interesting because sometime they show us things we
have either forgotten or are taking for granted.

Having said that, yes, Squeak is different and hard to compare to for
example the Linux world. Not that similarities exist - but also
differences. It is at least not obvious that we can "do as they do it".

> Hilaire

regards, Göran