[ENH][FIX] String-upToDep-huma ( [er][et][sm][cd] Recommend not including because it does its job too well )

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Fri Jan 7 17:59:47 UTC 2005

tomkoenig at mindspring.com wrote:

> This change set does exactly what it says it does (depreciates upTo:).
> However, I recommend not including it until a) we change how we respond
> to depreciated

It seems the word you and the OP are looking for is 'deprecated'.

Depreciation means a gradual reduction in value, deprecation means
declaring obsolete.

 > and/or b) we replace a sufficient number of the upTo:
> usages.  Otherwise, this will make the image very hard to use.
> Tested in 3.9a. #6537.
> Right now, when we get a depreciate interrupt, clicking on proceed
> appears to not allow you to ignore the error.  So IMO we can not afford
> to extend theuse depreciated ...

Well, the response to using a deprecated feature would seem to need to
be user-settable until the feature is actually removed. If the
deprecation mechanism doesn't allow that, it's not much good.