Why are we updating external packages using the update stream?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Jan 12 09:35:08 UTC 2005

Am 12.01.2005 um 09:02 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> Hi all!
>
> I haven't had much time lately to follow the stream - but today (after
> accidentally nuked my IRC-image) I fired up a 3.9-alpha and took a
> swift
> look in the changesorter and noticed that there are at least one updat
> for both SUnit and SM in there (both being external packages).

My experience has been that in image packages are quite hard to work
with...
at least how we did it till 3.8beta: installing by loading via SMLoader
from SM
with a tiny changeset.
This tend to blow up the changeset file a  lot, smloader is not
deleting stufff...
now with using the diff that MC generates this is a lot better (I used
that for SUnit).
But it does not update the version information... so this is bad, too.

Another problem is that nobody knows which classes belong to which
package.
So if I edit lots of methods (e.g. for m17n), then there will be cases
were
edits to those packages slip into the stream.

Short: The packe system sucks in Squeak. But we all now that.

> Eh... SUnit is of course not my baby - so Marcus can maintain it
> however
> he sees fit - but SM is "my baby" and I would like all fixes for it to
> be channeled through me and then we can issue an upgrade update for it
> later using SM. I thought this was how we intended to do it.
>
> If I am missing anything in all this then I gladly would like to know
> it. :)

There have been changes all over the place for m17, then this trivial
fix
for SM was there on BFAV for just 4 Months and was feeling lonly, so I
just
added it. Sorry.

           Marcus