Why are we updating external packages using the update stream?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 12 10:44:17 UTC 2005

Hi Marcus and all!

Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Am 12.01.2005 um 09:02 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I haven't had much time lately to follow the stream - but today (after
> > accidentally nuked my IRC-image) I fired up a 3.9-alpha and took a
> > swift
> > look in the changesorter and noticed that there are at least one updat
> > for both SUnit and SM in there (both being external packages).
> >

> My experience has been that in image packages are quite hard to work
> with...
> at least how we did it till 3.8beta: installing by loading via SMLoader
> from SM
> with a tiny changeset.

> This tend to blow up the changeset file a  lot, smloader is not
> deleting stufff...

Could you elaborate what you mean there? Perhaps you mean that SM loads
"full releases" and not incremental updates - or?

> now with using the diff that MC generates this is a lot better (I used
> that for SUnit).
> But it does not update the version information... so this is bad, too.

That can be done in a postscript etc. But... then... this is of course
only possible if there actually *is* a release available that matches
those changes that the changeset includes.

> Another problem is that nobody knows which classes belong to which
> package.

Well, we have PI, and we should start to use it for all packages
included in Basic. If we aren't already doing that.

> So if I edit lots of methods (e.g. for m17n), then there will be cases
> were
> edits to those packages slip into the stream.

Sure, it could happen. But given a working and used PI we should be able
to trap that. Btw, I have a "send fixes to maintainers" ENH on my hd -
not totally working yet, but close.

> Short: The packe system sucks in Squeak. But we all now that.

Right.

> > Eh... SUnit is of course not my baby - so Marcus can maintain it
> > however
> > he sees fit - but SM is "my baby" and I would like all fixes for it to
> > be channeled through me and then we can issue an upgrade update for it
> > later using SM. I thought this was how we intended to do it.
> >
> > If I am missing anything in all this then I gladly would like to know
> > it. :)
> >

> There have been changes all over the place for m17, then this trivial
> fix
> for SM was there on BFAV for just 4 Months and was feeling lonly, so I
> just
> added it. Sorry.

My fault for not tracking BFAV. But these fixes as updates can easily
slip me by and then they will be overwritten when I release again. If
fixes are sent to me as email then I tend to grab them ASAP. But I
confess that I am not tracking BFAV/Mantis at the moment.

>            Marcus

regards, Göran