Time to think about parallel Smalltalk stuff

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Jan 18 22:52:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:54:51 -0500, Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:47:48 -0800, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Given that current high-end cpus like P4 and G5 take many, many amps
> > (50 - 100) to achieve a 'mere' 2-3GHz
>
> I think you meant to say 50-100 watts, right?

Actually, looking at the specs, they say for the new 3.4 GHz chips, you're
looking at 103 watts at 1.25 volts, which is a little over 80 amps...

I'd be surprised if the ARM can run at 800 MHz with 50 mA. I've seen some
web pages claim the new 1 GHz XScale takes 1 watt to run at full power,
which is still tiny compared to the Intel chips, but then again its a whole
lot slower also.

Later,
Jon