using external plugins in squeak on windows(squeak internationalisation)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 19 07:44:58 UTC 2005

Hi!

Shalabh Raizada <shalabhraizada2004 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use a rendering engine for fonts called icu(http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu). The engine is written in C language. I want to create a bridge between squeak and icu. The compiled program has 5 dlls like icudt32.dll etc. This engine implements the bi-directional algorithm(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/) for rendering complex scripts.
>
> How should i proceed?

Creating plugins for Squeak is not trivially easy. You typically need at
least some knowledge of C as a base and then the best way to learn is to
look at the other existing plugins.

For developing plugins you first need to install VMMaker (from
SqueakMap) and you need to have the tools needed to build a VM. So first
step is to make sure you can build a VM.

If you are on Win32 those tools are neatly packaged on SF, if you are on
Unix you typically find a lot of info at Ian's site:

	http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel.html

...and of course there is a multitude of info on the Squeak Swiki.

Second step is to typically look at the *Plugin classes, typically
subclasses of SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin (which makes things easier
than plain InterpreterPlugin) and make a trivial plugin.

regards, Göran