An attempt to support Czech language

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Jan 19 15:38:48 UTC 2005

  Pavel,

  Thank you for trying,

> but I have to notice, that the Czech Windows environment doesn't use the
> ISO-8859-2 encoding but derived CP-1250. I will modify it...

  *Add* CP1250TextConverter and stuff, and modify the reference to the
ISO88592TextConverter.  If you look at the JapaneseEnvironment
class>>inputInterpreterClass, there is a complex switching.  As you
wrote the situation on *nix below, you might want to follow along that
line.

  Of course, modifying the ISO88592TextConverter class and see if you
can really input characters from keyboard is good as a first
proof-of-concept hack.

> Linux uses standard Latin2 encoding but here's a problem with keyboard
> input. Squeak VM doesn't accept special Czech characters.
>
> When I modify the VM (sqUnixX11.c, line 226) to
>
> static x2sqKey_t x2sqKey= x2sqKeyInput;
>
> and I run Squeak with correct environment settings
>
> env LC_ALL=czech squeak *.image
>
> accepted key codes for some special Czech characters are duplicitous! The
> only solution I know is to modify the recode() function to do not any
> conversion:
>
> int recode(int charCode)
> {
>     return charCode;
> }
>
> This is ugly non-standard hack. Will be there any official solution for X11
> keyboard inputs?

  Current X11 VM isn't very friendly to non-latin1 or macroman
languages.  I'm not aware of any "official" solution.  The VM for
Japanese is modified as well.

-- Yoshiki