An attempt to support Czech language

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Wed Jan 19 20:45:40 UTC 2005

>   Pavel,
>
>   By the way, you wrote this:
>
> > Linux uses standard Latin2 encoding but here's a problem with keyboard
> > input. Squeak VM doesn't accept special Czech characters.
>
> and also this:
>
> > >   Ah, I know the conversion table, but do you (people in Czech) expect
> > > to be able to use "LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" for example, or LATIN
> > > SMALL LETTER S WITH ACUTE?  Namely, chars in 0x80-0x9F range?
> >
> > Yes, at least 8A, 8C, 8D, 8E are very important for us.
>
>   Does that mean that a typical Linux user has to live without these
> "important" chars?
>
> -- Yoshiki

Yes (and the VM for PocketPC has the same problem). The only solution was to
use English keyboard and to recode some keys to correspond with the Czech
native keyboard (without support of the hosting OS) or to import texts from
the external file. And we needed fonts too.

Situation on Windows was better. I corrected the keyboard input to
correspond with CP1250 encoding so the localized text for e.g. wxSqueak
under Windows weren't problem. The conversion methods to UTF-8 were the
solution for Seaside texts.

By the way, how can I convert MultiStrings to UTF-8 now?

Pavel