MacOSX Performance

Karsten Wolf karstenwo at web.de
Sat Jan 22 00:13:29 UTC 2005

Am 21.01.2005 um 23:25 schrieb Tim Rowledge:
> Wrong. Take a look at that code again.
> BitBltSimulation>primitiveDrawLoop.  & >showDisplayBits. Note the
> interpreter's use of deferDisplayBits. Note also that Morphic
> frequently displays to a backing Form and then does a screen update in
> a big chunk.

I think we're talking about different VMs here. This is about Mac OS X
& image 3.7 full.

In my image I don't find references to deferDisplayBits. Where should
they be? Perhaps you meant deferDisplayUpdates. Neither
BitBltSimulation>primitiveDrawLoop nor
BitBlt|BitBltSimulation|InterpreterSimulator>drawLoopX:Y: contain a
reference to defer*. Rechecked this with a freshly unzipped
Squeak3.7-5989-full. What imageversion are you using?

I could have been more specific talking about
BitBlt>>drawFrom:to:withFirstPoint: which is not affected by any usage
of deferDisplayUpdates & is used when playing with Pen & Co.

> Display update performance might well be a performance bottleneck, but
> not for your stated reasons.
For OSX it's the interprocess call caused by QDFlushPortBuffer(); in
sqMacWindow.c.

> The vm is ~90% identical for all platforms. The platform specific code
> is, surprise, platform specific. Platforms have different behaviours
> when it comes to input handling and output handling. Even on the same
> nominal platform a difference (and a non-trivial one) can arise from a
> different graphics card or even just a driver.
That surely is more specific;-) I should have said that the windows vm
has some extra functionality accessible via some F-key... (haven't
looked at it for months)

karsten