[FIX] FontSet fileOut/fileIn broken in 3.8 (and the future)

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Jan 25 03:44:13 UTC 2005

>The fileOut mechanism for FontSets has always used string literals to hold binary data.
> With Version 3.8, this mechanism is no longer reliable.
>
>As a result, Squeak 3.8 cannot read FontSet fileOuts, wether created by itself or older Squeaks.

The attached changeSet changes the FontSet fileOut mechanism to use MIME64 encoded literals which still work for this purpose.  It includes a method that will accept the new encodings, and it puts a useful comment in the method most likely to break if an attempt is made to read in one of the now-unreadable fileOuts.

This code also works in old Squeaks back to when MIME encoding was introduced.  It therefore not only fixes 3.8 so it can read what it writes, but it can be filed into old Squeaks to make them produce FontSet fileOuts that can be read by 3.8 (with this fix).

As always, I have tried this code once and found it to work.

	- Dan