[Maybe Spam] Re: Swiki vandalized

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:11:47 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:

> Well, in my idea Apprentice would be good enough as a level,
> but yes -
> it's an issue. I think it'd be nice to randomly pick opinions
> when they're
> a year old or so, and ask the holder of the opinion to update
> it through
> an email or something.

That's actually a really nice idea. Per individual, the traffic's minimal (a mail every year or so), so it shouldn't annoy people too much. Just a small prod, you know?

> > Hm, wouldn't it be nice to have some serious log
> introspection for a
> > wiki? Then you could check usage patterns for particular
> IPs and know
> > that attacks usually occur at time N from block B, you know? (This
> > violates privacy of users on a grand scale, so you really
> want this
> > admin-only or something.)
> >
> Hmm... I could easily get the same information now by harvesting the
> changes list, so not a lot of privacy hurt here...

Agreed. I was thinking that with a nice interface, all the traffic analysis work's already done for the attacker.

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720