[Maybe Spam] Re: Swiki vandalized

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:02:03 UTC 2005

> Oh, that actually makes me wonder about something else. One might be only an Apprentice in the community (a new Squeaker, in other words) but a keen WikiGnome. We might want this new Gnome to have major rights as part of his (proven) wiki maintaining, while limiting his rights to, for instance, push changesets to the update stream (because he hasn't learned the Squeak idioms, for instance).

If somebody is a good WikiGnome and can't control themselves in regard
to pushing changesets, then they don't deserve to be a WikiGnome.

Just because you have a priviledge doesn't mean you'll abuse it. You
need to give people a bit more credit.

I also feel that there is a tendency to dream up scenarios that may
never happen and then design ways to deal with them. Deal with the
exceptions and odd cases when they occur.

You could also have two levels of "Apprentice", one lowest level which
you acquire by just existing (i.e. automatic) and the next level
requires asking. Only people with Apprentice-II or higher would be
allowed to edit the wiki.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada