Let us face reality

Hans N Beck HNBeck at t-online.de
Thu Jan 27 22:16:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

Am 27.01.2005 um 18:34 schrieb Cees de Groot:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:54:40 +0100, stéphane ducasse
> <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>
>> Another way to solve a bit this problem would be to organize a real
>> meeting point every year in Europe and in the US.
>
> I for one are usually not in a position to fund travel for Squeak;
> neither time-wise nor money-wise. Maybe, now that I am making actual
> money with it, this changes. But I think - alas - that most of us are
> doing this as a hobby which sorts of limits travel possibilities.

Yes, that's very true. To some small extent, a little bit the Squeak
Deutschland e.V. could help for it's members, but of course our
possibilities are very limited, also. And as for me, as Cees says, it
is nearly impossible to visit events often if they are more then 200 km
away ;-). ESUG conference is an example, I love it, but I can not pay
for it every year..........:-((  Don't think to OOPSLA, Squeak Days
Chicago, C5 Kyoto.....................

> Is that bad? Given all the more-or-less succesful open source projects
> I've been in where I never met anyone, I wouldn't necessarily say so.
> IRC, mail, websites are of course crutches when compared to personal
> communications, but they seem to work reasonably well between
> reasonable people. And, given your experience with trying to organize
> real life meetings, probably all we've got for the foreseeable future.
> It's very suboptimal, I know that, but I think it's a fact of life.

Yes !

Greetings

Hans