Another really cheap XScale Linux SBC for Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 27 23:36:03 UTC 2005

Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On one of the robotics groups I'm on, someone brought up the following
> consumer device:
>
> Linksys NSLU2
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=43&prid=640
>
> Its apparently got a 200 MHz XScale inside, 32 MB of RAM, with a couple USB
> host ports and an ethernet plug, and it runs Linux natively inside, and it
> is quite hackable.
That is seriously cute. Sort of an ethernet to USB converter with guts.
Now if only it had a display output for decent resolution. Still, for
most uses it's an easy replacement for a netWinder - and they used to
cost $1000+ !  Just think, a few years ago it would have counted as a
fairly high end server.

I bet it would even run VisualWorks (and yes, I have an ARM dynamic
translator that would work).

tim
Useful random insult:- Caboose seems to be pulling the engine.