majorShrink

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Fri Jan 28 08:38:28 UTC 2005

> You can do this right now, of course: just comment out the parts you
> wish to keep.  :)  There are certain kinds of tools  you don't need, if
> you are immersed in a great programming environment to begin with.

I just found some interresting, like "alternate syntax" in browser, but
in fact didn't see anyone using it actively.

> (The tool could do other things, yes, such as keep track of dependencies
> between the pieces....  But I doubt *anyone* is up for that much work.
> Far better to spend the time packagizing these components for real!)

I believe there are things dependent in some level (must-have,
better-to-have) and there are things independent, those if removed no
dependencies are broken.
For example I found removing _Sound_ category as quite okay, but
throwing an object to trash-bin makes DNU because trash-bin wants to
play a sound. So sound is better-to-have thing, but for example _Speech_
is purely package-like. If you don't use it, no other components does
so. It can be packaged and I'm happy it is already on SqueakMap.
For me, it comes to conclusion that one vital thing in "image stripper"
could be (drumroll please :) - discardAlreadyPackaged.

Just some thoughts... :)

--
Kamil