Why I asked (was: How might I set the cursorpoint? )

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 08:20:54 UTC 2005

>Peace Jerome <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:
>>

>> >Prim 91 is actually test  display depth... we
don't
>> do setting of the cursor position.
>>
>> That's interesting.
>
>It's very old and ought to be removed so as to avoid
confusing people.

I went back and found where Prim 91 is used for test
display depth. So you gave me the answer I was looking
for. Setting cursorpoint is off the menu for everyone
until its reinvented.

>> >It'sa pretty bad bit of UI generally to take the
>> users
>> >'attention' and drag it somewhere else by force.
>> >

>> I pretty much agree with you. To see what I was
trying
>> to do. Get a rectangle ask for the bitmap fill
style
>> and then ask (via red menu) to reset the origin (or
>> orientation). The cursor is where the menu item was
>> selected which is usually nowhere near the original
>> origin. So the UI is that the picture changes
>> dramatically to jump the origin to where the cursor
>> now is. It is not to bad for just the origin but
the
>> orientation stuff is rather jarring. So I thought
that
>> something that leaves them where they are until you
>> move the cursor would be more pleasant. I’ve been
>> experimenting with different things that might do
that
>> and following up my curiosity.\
>Interesting problem.  Seems to me that you should get
a chance to
>choose the new origin you want rather than it simply
jumping to the
>cursor.
Yeah I’ve tried several things. One of them put the
handle where the origin was.
Then as soon as the cursor moved it snapped to the
cursor. It seemed a little better than instant chaos
but still not elegant. I’ve put the problem on the
back burner til I figure out something else
interesting to try. Maybe just give the adjustments
their own handles and let the user play around then
request their removal like with polygons.

>> I’ve found many a piece of code in squeak that
>> indicated someone intended for a particular
function
>> to work.
>
>Ah, you've spotted the real weakspot of Squeak - too
much left over
>crud from unfinished and abandoned experiments and no
documentation of
>intent. Infuriating isn't it?

Now this is the part of the note I wanted to respond
to. The thought that someone worked on squeak an then
abandon their work and squeak has been on several
occasions infuriating.

The broken code itself isn’t infuriating. Its actually
rather informative of intent. Play with morphic. Sense
a feature is missing. Look at the code. Find an if
statement hiding the feature. The code the if
statement hides is usually the feature broken but
included. Now its just a debugging problem. And thats
solvalbe with enough patience and time.

It would be better if squeak were full of consistently
good quality code. To show by example what should be
done. The poetry of how the core squeak classes work
is sort of neat and inspirational. The problem code is
challenging, frustrating yet also educational and when
I can do something about it, a rewarding sensation of
accomplishment.

What’s infuriating are the people problems. How to get
significant contributions published into the squeak
stream. How to get them acknowledged as good and
needed contributions. How to get them acted upon. I
want the stuff I improve to be available for others to
use and improve. The feeling that the caretakers don’t
really feel the need to take really good care of
squeak and that there is no good way of shaking them
until they do. Now that’s infuriating.

>> And while I’m on the subject of curiosity who are
the
>> we of
>>
>> > ... we don't do setting of the cursor position.
>>
>> Who makes the communities standards? What are they?
>Muah-ha-ha! _I_ do! It's me! Bow before me oh feeble
earthlings!

>Oh, and that Goran character. He pulls the strings
via a complex web of
>blackmail and coercion, drugs and surveilance. All
under the control of
>the Evil Overlord of course.

Ah yes looney toons. They are all looney toons.
Another question answered.

Cheers and Joy, --Jerome Peace