Squeak is an unsuccessful open source project (was RE: Let usface reality)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Jan 31 12:08:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:20:57 -0000, Peter Crowther <Peter at ozzard.org>
wrote:
>  Who would rally round the new, slimmer image?

Well, force the issue. The PowersThatBe[tm] as far as the
core/minimal/full image thing is concerned, are the Guides. If they
declare that for the coming version x.y, the Guides feel themselves only
responsible for:
- core image;
- building minimal/full from packages;
then you can choose to fork your thing or play ball by packaging your
stuff and maybe some stuff your stuff needs (I'd gladly help packaging
wxSqueak, Seaside, because I depend on it; others will have other itches
to scratch).

It's a risk. But it's a risk worth taking, because I feel that a) the
concensus that this must be done, sooner or later, is there, and b) the
PowersThatBe have enough weight in the community that people will
cooperate, rather than fork.