www.squeak.org finally updated

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 3 11:57:01 UTC 2005

Hi -

> Crappy was a bit strong but this is clearly outdated. But now if we
> want to give the impression that squeak is a toy, we meet the
> objective. For the contents this is strange since we copied the
> information of the current web site. At least before I left the  website
> team

Some of the most significant portions of the original website are
definitely missing, including:
* downloads - the new website points to image, changes, and VM
independently, the old one to a single download per platform which is
vastly advantageous
* features and what is Squeak all about - seems like this has been
condensed into a single paragraph under "about" where we used to have
lots of stuff and pictures illustrating it
* documentation - the old site had lots of pointers, the new one just
three or four
To me, these are the most relevant aspects for a newbie to look at and I
find the old web site dramatically better suited than the new one to
address these issues.

> So on one hand you tell me that the new web site is better (even if
> some screenshots are missing)
> and now that this is not the case. What kind of game are you playing
> andreas? may be you goal is not that the community grows after  all....I
> find that curious.

I'm playing no games - I'm saying that I agree with the goal of giving
people access to the web site, make it possible to change it more
rapidly and with less pain. I think it's a good start but I also think
it's still a shot or two away from the information that it needs and
that the old one provided. And, naturally, this is my personal opinion,
and others are perfectly free to disagree or ignore it.

>> PS. And I find your claim about companies not mentioning Squeak
>> "because of the website" very, very strange. If that were true I'm
>> not sure that those companies do understand very much about Squeak
>> and its strengths.
>
> Sure tell that I'm lying if this is what you want to imply. You can  say
> to netStyle people that they are idiot too.
> But this is what they are living daily. May be adrian will reply on
> this one?

This would indeed be very interesting.

> But I get such as kind of answer from you I'm really wondering what
> kind of game you are playing.

I'm just wondering what kind of company would not mention Squeak because
of its current website and *would* do that with the new website.

Cheers,
   - Andreas