Commercial Smalltalks deserve our support too (Was: www.squeak.org finally updated)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jul 4 14:14:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:50:32AM +0200, Franz Josef Konrad wrote:

> - I was impressed what Squeak can deliver *today* for some of my
> business needs. But there is no central entry point (or I haven’t found)
> where I could find all the answers to my questions on the web. Probably
> somebody else would have give up searching soon (or immediately).

Regardless of one's point of view regarding Squeak for commercial
purposes, I think it's a good thing to support the commercial
Smalltalks. For example, a Seaside business application can be
delivered on either VisualWorks or Squeak. It takes nothing away
from Squeak at all if you recommend VisualWorks for a project like
this, and you can of course refer to the very professional-looking
Cincom web site.

In my opinion it would be very bad for Squeak to be seen as a
competitor to the commercial systems, and very good for Squeak if
the commercial systems grow in credibility thanks to the positive
contributions of the Squeak community.

Dave