Commercial Smalltalks deserve our support too (Was: www.squeak.org finally updated)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jul 4 16:04:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 04:58:26PM +0200, Franz Josef Konrad wrote:

> I don't see Squeak as a competitor to the commercial Smalltalk systems.
> I want to see low barriers for people to use Smalltalk doing business.
> And with a free product like Squeak you have an attractive choice.
>
> If it is possible to grow the the number of people who use Squeak it
> will IMO automatically raise the number of people who will use a
> commercial Smalltalk systems. If you believe this isn't possible then of
> course you will have a cannibalism effect that Squeak takes market share
> from the commercial systems. But perhaps I'm too optimistic?!

100% agree. And I like Alan Knight's analogy of rowing a lifeboat :)

> Dave, so would you argue not to use Squeak for business projects? Using
> a commercial Smalltalk system instead?

I depends on the customer of course. My background is in the automotive
industry, where a commercial product would be preferred. As for myself,
I use Squeak for fun and as a wonderful personal analytical tool. But I
agree with your points.

Dave