squeak using high CPU, reporting little use

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Jul 4 16:42:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 11:19:37AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> squeak gets in this odd state where it consumes lots of cpu according
> to the operating system tools, but when I do a debug message tally it
> reports over 90% of the time in idle.
Let me try to say that more clearly.

Tools running outside of squeak report it is using up most of the CPU
on the computer. (basically a top-equivalent).

If I use the debugger inside of squeak, it reports that squeak is
mostly idle.

> Doing a save always clears up the problem (perhaps because of a global
> garbage collect?).

I think I can confirm that.  I got in this state again, and did
Smalltalk garbageCollect
That fixed the problem, and answered with the suspiciously large
1029077260 (about 1G, if I'm counting right).

> Smalltalk vmVersion gives
> 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'' [latest update: #6548]'
>
> Running on linux with a largish image (57Mg).
>
> The image itself is a bit old, with #4956 the last update; I think
> that makes it 3.6 era.
>
> Any ideas what's going on?

P.S. I think some of the discussion of the website has been
unnecessarily heated and personal.  If new people get past the site
and check out squeak-dev, that kind of stuff is not going to help us.

Ross