www.squeak.org finally updated

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 4 19:43:56 UTC 2005

I suggest that what is needed on the front page is two major items
a) off to one side, or tucked at the bottom, or somewhere not too 'in your
face' but still trivial to spot, a direct download-it-now for those of us
already users.
b) A concise description of what Squeak is, why it is interesting and what it
is being used for. >Then< pointers to more info about the language, projects
etc.

Obviously one could have more in the way of pointers  - to screenshots (why do
these seem to be so important?) for example- but I think the two main items are
crucial. A bit of fluff around the edges for logos and so on seems to be
expected.

Avi said-
> one of the (many) project sites.  One thing that makes this feel a
> little more cohesive is that they are all something.apache.org.  I
> don't know if that's a can of worms we want to open, but in theory I
> can see having a very simple, general www.squeak.org with
> tweak.squeak.org, wx.squeak.org, and so on below it serving
> individual communities.
This sounds very sensible to me. Can I assume that it is possible to make (for
example) seaside.squeak.org point directly to seaside.st ?

So far I prefer the visual layout of the new site although the content is still
a bit thin. Criticisms of the deeply out of date content on the old site are
worryingly valid. Making it a bit easier to change things would probably be
beneficial.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- He hasn't a single redeeming vice.  -- Oscar Wilde