Simple multiplayer game programming advice wanted

Dave Briccetti daveb at davebsoft.com
Tue Jul 5 06:15:59 UTC 2005

I teach a summer class for grades 5-9 called "Multiplayer Network Game
Programming."

The idea is to teach simple TCP client/server concepts and ultimately
end up with a very simple client/server game such as tanks that they can
drive around and shoot at each other. I've taught this for several years
in Java, and this year I'd like to try doing something in Squeak. I'd
like to learn how to create something like this:

Client windows show the player's avatar (a simple graphic) and that of
the other players.
An icon suddenly appears on all the client windows. The first player to
move his avatar (via the joystick morph, perhaps) over to the icon gets
the icon. The icon represents a question that the player has to answer
("What is a router?," for example). The question appears and the player
types or selects an answer. If the player gets the right answer he earns
points. If not, he drops the icon and somebody else can get it. Scores
for all players should show all the time (perhaps under the avatar).
When one player reaches some number of points, the game stops.

Does this seem like a reasonable project to do in Squeak? Is there
something to do remote procedure calls or otherwise communicate between
the clients and the server?

Some notes from my classes:
http://davebsoft.com/cfk/index.html
http://dbschools.com/dbschools/servlet/main/action/SelectInfo?selann566=A