Squeak's "general acceptance"

German Arduino gsa at softhome.net
Tue Jul 5 16:32:21 UTC 2005

Blake wrote:
> In just about any professional desktop development tool today, the
> process  of displaying DB data in form or grid format is nigh
> automatic.  I can do  it without a line of code, and I can do it even if
> I've never seen the  tool in my life.

Any "professional desktop dev tool" or any RAD tool. Ins't the same.

> You say ODBC and ODBCEnh "help with this", so I try to install ODBC and
> get the expected "no published package" followed by the not surprising:
> "Error occured during install: Not a GZipped stream". And yet, even if

Unfortunately this is a common question installing packages that aren't
up to date, but the most of times the installation is possible after a
time of experience dealing with with Squeak, packages and so.

> I  could get it to install, I'm positive that generating a simple data
> entry  form or grid would not be trivial and would most certainly
> require coding.  Most likely it's not something I could manage in the
> first week of using  Squeak, much less the first hour.

Squeak isn't a tool to be dominated in 2 weeks, nor in 2 months.

Working full with Smalltalk require a time, at least in my experience.
The full power of Object Technology (not only object oriented) need a
time. Smalltalk and RAD are opposites I think. Smalltalk is a tool with
others goals more than RAD.

> I disagree. OO programming is perfectly capable of modeling an RDBMS.
> (I  may be hallucinating but I thought I read an essay by Alan Kay
> embracing  both RDBMS and ODBMS. If so, I hallucinated a really sensible
> thing.<s>)
>
> The relational model certainly has its limits, but it also has its
> uses.  And it's not to Squeak's credit that it makes a chore out of
> reaching out  to other tools.

My point is that exactly Smalltalk is the best suited option to NOT have
the need of use relational DBs. If a programmer has payed the costs of
learn OT (aka Smalltalk), then have no sense (IMHO) get tied to
relational DBs.

Cheers.
gsa.