Commercial Smalltalks deserve our support too (Was: www.squeak.org finally u

jarober61 jarober at mail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:53:30 UTC 2005

--- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, Cees De Groot <cdegroot at g...> wrote:
> On 7/4/05, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at g...> wrote:
> > I don't think there's any danger of Squeak eroding Cincom's market
> > share.
>
> Actually, I think there is. But that danger is Cincom's problem, not
ours.

We consider Squeak to be a positive good, both for the Smalltalk
community and for Cincom's growth.  We have more than one customer
that started with Squeak, and then migrated to our product - mostly
out of a desire to have ready access to support.

Thus far, there's been a very good interchange of ideas and code
between Squeak and Cincom's VisualWorks, and I think that helps everyone.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView