Squeak's "general acceptance"

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 6 02:49:58 UTC 2005

> In just about any professional desktop development tool today,
> the process of displaying DB data in form or grid format is nigh
> automatic.  I can do it without a line of code, and I can do it
> even if I've never seen the tool in my life.

Why saddle a leading-edge development project like Squeak with the mundane
trappings of "just about any" other tool?  That seems like adding a luggage
rack and air conditioning to a Formula One car or putting a wet bar and a
stewardess on the Space Shuttle just to make them seem more familiar.
Certainly if anyone really wants to add functions to Squeak they can do so,
and if those functions prove useful they could become part of the Squeak
base, but why tack on a bunch of bric-a-brac just because it's already been
done elsewhere?

Gary

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/5/05 10:50:24 PM