Commercial Smalltalks deserve our support too (Was: www.squeak.org finally updated)

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Sat Jul 9 19:54:57 UTC 2005

Hi John,

Le 6 juil. 05, à 03:04, Raymond Asselin a écrit :

> It is really ' un défi'  to propose to do something with Squeak or any
> Smalltalk because the first question you'll have to answer is 'where I
> find programmers' and the second is 'where is the support or the
> expert if we need one'.  At least in Québec it is the problem.

Actually, Smalltalkers do exist. The problem is to find them. This is
not an easy problem. One solution is just create a Smalltalk mailing
list and then a users group. You advertise it and for sure you'll
gather people: both experienced Smalltalkers and new ones.
Advertisement can be done in various ways. One of them is attending to
Smalltalk gatherings (Smalltalk Solutions, ESUG conference, ...).

Moreover, I believe that Smalltalkers of companies and universities
need to work hand in hand in order to "regenerate" the Smalltalk
community and bring "fresh blood". This is something I'm pushing with
other people: provide students both Smalltalk courses and Smalltalk
internships (or why not job offers). So, Students attend Smalltalk
courses not only for the "beauty of the language", but also because it
can help them find jobs. And companies will get Smalltalk developers on
the market place.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org