Janitors Task 2 Starts Tomorrow (June 28th, 2005)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Jul 12 13:02:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 14:06 -0400, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> Ken,
>
> If you are still looking for help, and can use a help from someone who does
> not have smalltalk experience and only starting with Squeak development, but
> would like to help, I am available (and please say no if that's not the
> profile that can do more good than harm :) ). I did read through your
> Janitors-task process, and think that I understand it. If I were to help, I
> would probably not be able to venture to evaluate whether the item should be
> closed (item 5) and would simply do the monkey work of moving it to
> Mantis.... I am currently setting up with the latest of  3.8 and 3.9 to cover
> the requirements. I should have lots of time next 2 weeks, then away for 3
> weeks with ability to do some work but only online occasionally. After coming
> back should be able to commit 5 hours a week maybe more.
>
> Milan

Milan,

First of all let me state that you are welcome to 'test out'
participating in Task 2 and see if you think it is something with which
you can help.  I can generally be found on the #squeak IRC channel
between 15:00 and 23:00 GMT on week days.  If you have time during this
window to come by #squeak for a while and talk to me and test out the
procedure I think that would be the best way for you to decide if you
can help.  If it is not possible for you to come by during this time
send me some email giving me some idea of when you could come.

However let me make clear that there is really no 'monkey work' to be
done.  The entire job is making judgements, reading for understanding,
and writing to be understood.  It is not possible to seperate the small
amount of 'monkey work' from this.  Certainly some understand of Squeak
and Smalltalk is necessary.  But it is even more important that you be
able to read what someone has written, puzzle out what they meant, be
able to test what they have said, and reply to them in a clear but
concise way.

Currently there is one other team member other than myself, Marco
Monteiro (irc nick 'masm'), and he has been doing a great job.  Anyone
that has been monitoring BFAV2 should realize that we are making steady
if slow progress.  In time I believe that Marco and I would be able to
complete the job.  But more volunteers are welcome and I would be happy
to work with you and help you decide if this project is one that you
would be comfortable participating in.  Just let me know.

Ken