Binary snapshots in monticello

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Jul 14 14:41:46 UTC 2005

Am 12.07.2005 um 20:46 schrieb <mpf2708 at chello.se>:

>> Are the binary snapshots implemented using image segments? Isn't
>> it true
>> that image segments can be only loaded to the image they were
>> saved from?
>>

> Image segments are the basis of published projects in Squeak and
> can be
> loaded into other images,

However, MC does not use image segments or that, but just a data
stream, which is the simplest of the binary serialization methods.

>> Do things like class side #initialize still fire on binary load?

yes.

>> Is there a way to disable saving binary snapshots while saving
>> package?
>> I suspect they have no benefit for me and the more than doubled
>> file size
>> annoys me.

You could comment that out. However, loading will be much slower as
the source code (source.st) will be parsed into an MCSnapshot
instance. The binary snapshot contains this MCSnapshot instance,
nothing more.

- Bert -