memory and VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 15 13:23:27 UTC 2005

Well I did peek at the XINE-Lib suggestion and noticed that it does
not run on most BSD
based unixs, windows or macintosh os-9. This rules it out for
providing as a cross-platform generic solution.
Plus of course the USA deemed illegal decoding of copy protection
logic makes it a undesirable product
to associate my name with since I am within reach of the Hollywood
lawyers.

I will note the mpegplugin which is based on the source from http://
heroinewarrior.com/libmpeg3.php3
could be updated.  If someone in the community is willing to cross
check the current source code back
to the squeak tree this would be a useful service and I would be
happy to help them.

A quick check last night showed numerous improvements to how position
seeks work and I know in the
past we have had problems reseeking and ending up in an endless loop
in the plugin.

Our current source tree has changes mostly to make it macintosh os-9
friendly, provide macintosh ARGB support,
tuning tweaks, MMX alterations and removal of DCSS and other non-
licenced technology such as Dolby sound extensions.
And of course it's quite platform agnostic.

On 14-Jul-05, at 7:36 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> It is long overdue for a major design review. -- Glancing through a
> number of the source files indicates missing functionality in the Unix
> VM (in MIDI playback). and a number of other deficiencies. -- XINE-Lib
> is the de-facto standard for playing media files-- even playing DVDs
> with a marginally legal descrambler, yet still it comes bundled
> with an
> obsolete version of an obscure MPEG plugin... =\

===