memory and VM issues

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:21:17 UTC 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 5:14 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> We did a C header parser at PPS for the DLLCC product. It took two
> very
> smart engineers a couple of years. It absorbed an unpleasant amount of
> engineering maintenance time thereafter. It was big, and complicated
> and best of all... customers complained that adding a single line to
> the interface class definition (something like foo subclass:
> WindDLLInterface ...... include: 'library\windows.h) was too much work
> and they'd rather manually type in each method for each macro and
> define and so on.
>
> Feel free to roll your own version but _I_ ain't gonna do anything for
> it.

What about doing something based on FFIGen, which will translate C
header files into nice sexps for parsing?  The original version
(http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lth/ffigen/) used LCC, but OpenMCL has a
derivative that uses GCC as the frontend, which should be able to
handle a significant portion of the headers we care about, no?  See
http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/ch09s07.html for more info.

Avi