memory and VM issues

Sachin Desai smdesai at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 20 18:10:14 UTC 2005

I've downloaded the current SVN sources and VMMaker (3.8b3) from
SqueakMap and am unable to the build a working VM. This may be the
result of changes going into the source tree and me taking a snapshot
that just doesn't build.

Anyhow, these are the problems I'm facing and in the past I've been
able to successfully build a working VM.  I'm building a Carbon VM on
Mac OS X 10.4.2 using XCode, I'm able to compile and link but get a
runtime error for "getThisSessionID" as an undefined symbol.

When I try to build a unix VM, I get the following undefined symbols:

     _dispatchFunctionPointer
     _dispatchFunctionPointerOnin
     _fetchLong32ofObject
     _getThisSessionID
     _obsoleteDontUseThisFetchWordofObject

I also had to manually tweak the code in order to get it to compile
by adding the following to Cross/vm/sq.h

     typedef  int (*fptr) (void);

I'm not able to get an interp.h generated at all. I have to manually
create it to get away from the warnings. At first I thought there was
a problem with my image but I downloaded a fresh 3.8 image, added
Balloon and VMMaker and tried to build. Same errors.

If anyone can shed some light on how I can proceed, it's greatly
appreciated otherwise I'm quite happy to wait for a stable snapshot
of the source tree.

-- Sachin.