memory and VM issues

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Jul 20 21:40:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:18:20PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> It's real simple.
>
> The VM had has its hood open and the engine is scattered around the
> workshop floor. There is a bunch of stuff to do. Right now the VMMaker
> on SM is not the 'latest' one and does not match the 'latest' SVN tree.
> At some point it will get cleaned up and put back together.
>
> The VMMaker on SM that is 'official' (in as much as anything is
> official in this utterly screwed up world) is VMMaker38b3.mcz and
> matches SVN level 1105. Ideally there would be a simple release package
> that tied each version of VMMaker with a suitable CVN release. I don't
> have time to learn how to do that right now.
>
> In the meantime if you use
>
> svn checkout http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms --
> revision 1105

I originally got interested in building a VM in an attempt to follow
John McIntosh's suggestion (July 4 on high CPU useage) to try a newer
VM and diagnostic tools.  The instructions for that say to use a VM
created in June/July 2005 or later using the latest VMMaker.

Unfortunately, revision 1105 is from 19 Mar 2005 according to the log.
Probably not coincidentally, that is the date Ian released the version
of the VM I am using (3.7-7 in the changelog, though it identifies
itself as Smalltalk vmVersion 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'',
consistent with the versioning Lex gave it in the Debian changelog).